Sam Horbury
Level 06
BA (Hons) Graphic Design
Leeds College of Art

Studio Brief - How To…

For this brief, we were given a research theme; we were to explore this theme looking into various different aspects and elements of it. As a group, we were given 'Healthy Lifestyle' which we then split down into, what we thought, were the 4 main categories of it: Sleep, Drugs and Alcohol, Diet and Exercise and 5-A-Day. From the 4, I was to look at 'Sleep'; looking into the way in which it can effect us mentally, physically and the importance of it on our everyday lives.

I started by looking at various secondary images based around the idea of sleep and its effects. Originally, I was looking at different info-graphic's and diagrams that represent numerous aspects of sleep.






 

I then looked into more scientific ways of interpreting sleep and its effect, exploring the different lines and patterns created through different types of brain scans and checks. This could be a very interesting route to go down in terms of representing the effects sleep can have on the body; it is an instant and universal representation of health and well being.
















Once I had gathered enough source material, I went about creating primary research to back up and explore different ideas. To start, I looked at the bed as this has basic and obvious links to sleep. I went around photographing different peoples beds straight after they had gotten up, ensuring they didn't make or tidy their bed. This meant that the bed was exactly how they left it, leaving imprints and creases unique to that person and that night's sleep. I think this sense of individuality could be very interesting but possible straying too far from the original theme of 'Healthy Lifestyle' that we need to later apply our research to.

Bed No. 1:







Bed No. 2:







Bed No. 3:






I then decided that another way in which to generate my own insight into sleep and the way in which different people value it would be to create a questionnaire. This would ask them questions such as the amount of time they sleep, when they sleep and looker deeper into various traits of sleep such as dreams and nightmares. I got around 15 people to fill out this questionnaire so I had a small basis on which to continue my research if and when needed.



From talking to a peer studying Fine Art, I was instructed to look into Surrealism; artists such as Dali have based much of their work on dreams and nightmares. 






I then collated all of the research I had collected and put it into three mood boards; one for primary research, one for secondary research and one showing a sense of future direction.

Mood Board No. 1: 

Mood Board No. 2:

Mood Board No. 3:

We then got back together as a group and presented each of our sets of mood boards, each person having a deeper understanding of their certain aspect of 'Healthy Lifestyle' that they shared with the group. The next step of this project was to come together as a group to produce something that would help people to lead a healthier lifestyle, using the research that we had gathered.

No comments:

Post a Comment