Sam Horbury
Level 06
BA (Hons) Graphic Design
Leeds College of Art

Studio Brief - Research, Collect, Communicate: PRODUCT

I continued to look into other examples of things I would have to produce in order to successfully re-brand Dry Dock. This included menu's, beer mats and fliers. 



I like how clean and organised this menu is, and the basic colour scheme they have used. Keeping in mind that the main aspect of this brief is to produce an info-graphic, I like the way in which the small icons have been added to give a visual representation (therefore making it into an info-graphic) 


Pinned Image 

Again, I like the way in which small icons and illustrations have been included on the menu; this is something that I want to include within my designs to ensure that I am producing info-graphics and thus fulfilling the brief. The hand drawn quality of this menu is very intriguing and adds much more character to the design. I think I may look into this when creating my own designs, venturing from my usual style of working that mainly involved digital work and geometric shapes.

These nautical themed labels are very aesthetically pleasing; the format and shapes of them as well as the colour and content. I like the simplicity of some of these designs, the way in which some consist of mainly type whereas some incorporate both type and image. I think that these would work very well as beer mats and will look into existing beer mats to see if they share any similarities with these designs.

Pinned Image 
These are actual beer mats that have a very nautical based theme. Again, I really like the simplicity of these designs, using only one colour and the stock. They also have a very hand drawn quality that I think gives them much more character and individuality. They have a very 'Sailor Jerry' visual quality to them that only strengthens the link to the nautical theme. This sort of format, visual quality and colour scheme is something I shall definitely consider within my own designs. 


Pinned Image 

Pinned Image 

Pinned Image 

Pinned Image 

These are some more existing beer mats that I gathered from Pinterest. They all use just one colour and stock keeping the designs very bold and simple, something that a beer mat needs. I don't want to incorporate too much detail within my designs as it will be lost when printed so small and when the beer mats are used frequently. The way in which they are all slightly different yet all incorporate image and text is something I shall explore within my own designs.
Pinned Image 
Pinned Image 

Existing beers that I looked at due to their illustration quality and simplicity.

I then started looking at different styles and trends that are in right now. This sort of hand drawn, almost child-like way of designing is something that has started to appear everywhere. Designs vary from containing numerous colours all the way to only containing one or two colours. Considering that I normally work using mainly computer aided design and very geometric clean designs, I would like to explore this other style of working.


 Kate Hindley 

A huge influence on my design work throughout this project has been from a designer named Kate Prior. I came across her work whilst on Pinterest, as well as noticing it on other design blogs, before realising that she works in Leeds producing fliers and promotional material for various local bars and clubs such as 'Nation of Shopkeepers'.

These are some examples of her work:




I like the way in which this image has been laid out. The use of varying sized boxes allows her to keep some sort of organised appearance without reducing from its visual effectiveness.  



 


As you can see here, all of her design has a very hand drawn quality that keeps the imagery very simple and bold; the colour scheme helping to emphasise this simplicity by only using 4 different colours: Orange, Green, Black and White. Even the text within the image appears to have been created by hand, keeping consistency within the design. It is a very busy composition that appears to be very surreal and strange. This however doesn't detract from the purpose of the design, advertising an event for 'Nation of Shopkeepers'. When creating my own designs, I shall keep referring to this image and it's aesthetic style and use of typography.


No comments:

Post a Comment